FK is currently recruiting for a Commercial Manager to work out of our head office, in Altrincham.
With proven experience working within the construction industry, you will expected to be familiar with all operational areas of the business. You will be responsible for monitoring the department’s commercial and contractual activities by timely and accurate reporting whilst reducing the Company’s exposure to costs, risk and while identifying opportunities to add commercial value to the process.
Main responsibilities of the role:
- To issue subcontract tender enquiries in line with the company’s contractual obligations.
- To carry out commercial appraisals on tender returns. To select the appropriate subcontractor(s), placing subcontractor orders on a back to back basis with FK obligations;
- To value subcontractor labour-only works and to administer any relevant payments in liaison with the finance department;
- In conjunction with the design, operations and procurement teams, to review material orders and plant forecasts, and to undertake a detailed review of projections to ensure the timely delivery of materials to site in accordance with the design programme;
- To provide cost/value updates, to be carried out as necessary to ensure accurate cost reporting; to ensure that cost projection and variations are updated for monthly review by the Commercial Director.
- To monitor labour, plant and material costs against budget and to report on potential cost issues; where appropriate to facilitate the agreement of the internal suite of documents;
- To identify project risks and opportunities and to develop and propose an appropriate course of action;
- To value FK works for submission of external client valuations and to provide cost information and updates on performance against budgets as required both by clients and internally;
- To attend meetings, as required, to manage the subcontract design progress to ensure the integration of subcontractors’ packages with FK own works and compliance with our contractual obligations; to deal with any issues associated with the sub contract packages;
- In consultation with the Commercial Director, to ensure that contractual notices are issued; to cost and agree any subsequent contract variations as required, ensuring that any variations are agreed on a continual basis to limit commercial exposure;
- In conjunction with the operations management team, to ensure that the required ‘as built’ records are maintained to remove any commercial risk i.e. marked up programmes, record photographs and weekly reports;
- In the absence of an Operations/Project Manager, to assume temporary care-taking responsibility for the operational management of a site, in consultation with the Operations Director;
To succeed in this role you will have:
- Proven experience working in a commercial team for a Specialist Sub-Contractor or Main Contractor.
- Strong working knowledge of building contracts and the ability to assess areas of commercial risk
- Good day to day understanding of finance, including P&L, and the implications and impact of decision making on the profitability and growth of the business.
- Strong analytical skills with demonstrable track record of implementing and maintaining continuous improvement and quality management policies and procedures.
- High standard of general literacy and numeracy. Strong report writing skills.
- Good working knowledge of health and safety regulations and environmental legislation.
- IT literate with good skills and knowledge of key software systems.
- Excellent negotiation, communication and interpersonal skills.
Our vision is to become the first choice provider of full envelope solutions; by investing in our people and continuing to improve our skills within our field of expertise, we will be known for our commitment to safety, quality and sustainability for the benefit of our clients.
In addition to a competitive salary and benefits package, we provide continuing learning and development opportunities within an excellent professional work environment.
As the company continues to grow, we are continually searching for new talent, if you interested in working within the FK Group and want to be a part of the company achieving these objectives.